Reception Class Mrs Ellis-Stansfield
Welcome to Reception!
Welcome to our new Reception class and their families!
My name is Mrs Ellis-Stansfield and I will be your child’s teacher for their first year at Peover Superior. I have two children of my own, Annabelle and Arthur, and my hobbies are reading, baking and exploring the 'great outdoors' with my children.
I have a real passion for the Early Years and have previously been EYFS Lead at school, when we received our outstanding Ofsted inspection a few years ago. My other major role in school is the Special Educational Needs Coordinator (SENCO) and Phonics and Reading Leader. I am a Senior Leader in Education for PSHE across the Aspire Trust.
We have lots of wonderful adults working in EYFS for the rest of the year. Miss Hubbard will be teaching in our class on a Monday and Tuesday morning. Miss Hodson and Mr Strauss will be supporting pupils in Early Years as our classroom assistants.
Our topic for the Autumn term will be 'All about Me and People Who Help Us.'
We will start the year by getting to know one another, our likes and dislikes, hobbies, families and what makes us unique. As part of Understanding the World (UTW), the children will learn about different roles in the community and will have the opportunity to ask and answer questions, when the local Fire Service, Police Officers, Dentist and Vet visit school.
In Science, the children will explore seasonal changes, from Summer to Autumn and begin to understand more about the weather associated with each season. They will make observations about the world around them, and get to know more about Peover and the surrounding villages and towns.
In Phonics, the children will have daily lessons following the Little Wandle Letters and Sounds Revised programme. In the Autumn term, children will learn the letters and sounds associated with Phase 2 and begin to learn some digraphs 'qu' 'ch' 'sh' 'th' 'ng' 'nk'.
In Literacy, the children will learn to read and write their names. They will learn to form letters correctly, using a little rhyme to help them to remember each one. The children will write labels and begin to write simple sentences for a range of purposes e.g. shopping lists, birthday cards, invitations, diagrams of something they have made.
In Maths this term, our units of learning will be:
- Recognising numbers to 5
- Subitising up to 5
- Positional language
- Exploring patterns
- Key times of the day
- Shapes with up to 4 sides
- P.E is on Monday and Friday, children can come to school wearing their P.E kit on these days. Please ensure that all PE kit is clearly labelled.
- Children in Reception should have a book bag where they can keep their reading folder and any important letters.
- Reading books will be changed weekly on a Thursday/Friday. Your child will have a fully decodable phonic book to read as well as a sharing book to read and enjoy with the family.
- Your child will have weekly 'Home Learning' sent home on a Friday. This may be flashcards linked to Phonics or the number of the week in Maths.
- Children need to have a named water bottle, which will stay in school all week.
- Reception children need a pair of wellies, a waterproof coat and lots of spare clothes for our many adventures outside.
We are looking forward to a great Autumn term, exploring the new environment and having lots of fun!
Mrs Ellis-Stansfield :)